[osis-core] osisCore_Candiate_1.1_003 - 7 osisWork as an IDREF

Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:03:54 -0600

> At 10:47 AM -0600 08/21/02, Todd Tillinghast wrote:
> >I thought that osisWork in <osisText> was an IDREF and that the name
> >attribute in <work> was an ID.  Did we abandon that or have we just
not
> >gotten that in this version?
> >
> >Todd
>
> I believe it is an IDREF, though it's main purpose is to set the
> inherited default so you don't have to stick the prefix on each
> following reference. When an osisWork value appears embedded in a
> full reference, of course it isn't technically syntactically an IDREF.

I think the osisWork attribute in <osisText> should be an IDREF to
ensure (as much as is possible) that the value presented has already
been "defined" in the header in a <work> element as the "name" attribute
which is the corresponding ID.  (It is also possible to use the key
mechanism instead.)

I think it is important recognize that the value the proceeds the ":" in
a reference or self-id IS NOT the work but rather a reference system.
As such the osisWork attribute of <osisText> is totally independent of
the values that preced the ":".  If we want to have a default reference
system we MUST provide a mechanism to specify it as you state below.

> Writing this, I realize that for consistency we should have an
> osisRefSys we can set as default, too, yes? Either a second attribute
> (yech), or osisWork allows both work and reftype to be include in its
> value (in which case the name is inconsistent.

I think that osisWork should only state what work this <osisText>
element is.

Todd