[osis-core] annotateWork and annotateType

Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:21:59 -0600

> > It seems that annotationWork and annotationType are a hold
> > over from an older time and that the attributes are no longer
> > needed because the preferred mechanism would be the
> > following: <p><reference osisRef="conf:IV.6.ii"
> > type="annotation" subtype="translation"/></p>
>
> That really doesn't do the job.  The <p> is a container; it's
> a much different matter to put an empty element inside a container
> with the given attributes. What would it even mean -- that any
> element containing that empty reference element has those attributes?

The way I understand the use of the <reference> element is that its role
is based on the type and subtype attributes and that a <reference>
element will often describe its parent element.

The only reason the <reference> is not always an empty element is so
that it can contain a text/presentation version of the value in the
osisRef attribute.

> The other issue is that that is an abuse of the <reference>
> element, which has different semantics.

I am not sure how this is an abuse of the reference element or how the
semantics are different.  Can you explain where you see the difference?