[osis-core] osisCore_Candidate.11_002!

Sun, 18 Aug 2002 13:45:37 -0600

> Patrick,
> 	What elements did we decide could have an osisRef?  And what
exactly
> does
> it mean to have an osisRef on anything other than something like:
>
> See <reference osisRef="Matt.1.1">Matthew 1:1</reference> for an
> alternate geneology of Christ.

I agree with the idea that <reference> seems to be the only place we
need an osisRef, with three exceptions.  I think it make sense to have
an attribute for <note> and <figure> to indicate the range of text the
note or figure is related to.  In this case the meaning of the osisRef
is clear.  It might be helpful to use a different attribute name other
than osisRef but the type would be the same type as osisRef in
<reference>.  Even if the note is inserted in the text it will exist at
POINT in the document and the osisRef attribute provides a mechanism to
specify the exact range of text that the note or figure applies to.
This could very helpful when rendering and tying to get the note or
figure on the same page as MOST of the text OR repeating the note when
the text spans two pages.

The third case that can be helpful is for a div element that does not
have a "simple" osisID so that it can indicate the range of text it is
containing.  Examples are <div>s that contain thirty Psalms and <div>s
that are part of a chapter but several verses.  Although this can be
done with an osisID the list could be very long AND you don't want to
get the <div> element than contains a chapter or verse when looking for
just the individual chapter or verse.  Again maybe a different attribute
name would be good but the behavior is useful.

Other than these cases I thing that osisRef should not exist outside of
<reference>.

> I understand that people asked for ways to relate certain elements to
> Bible passages, but when I write software, I will need to know what to
> do with something like:

> this section of Scripture.</p>
>
> Didn't we say something like:

> This is commentary for this section of Scripture.</p>
>
> would be better?

YES!

> If we REALLY wanted to allow someone to pull up *'THE'* paragraph in a
> doc for "Matt.1.4", wouldn't it be better to mark a commentary with
> something like:

> type="commentary">
> <reference osisRef="Matt.1.1-Matt.1.6">Matthew 1:1-6</reference>  This
> is commentary for this section of Scripture.</p>
>

> Just trying to buff out a shiny surface from our chiseling over the
past
> months :) (at least in my mind, if everyone else gets this).
>

> 	-Troy.
>

> Patrick Durusau wrote:
> > Greetings!
> >
> > Yes, a whole hour early! Maybe it is because I have been on the
keyboard
> > since 4 AM with only a break for my morning nap, but I am ready to
take
> > some time away from the Palantiri on my desk!
> >
> > Attached you will find:
> >
> > 1. osisCore_Candidate.1.1_002, which has the corrected (I think
regexes)

Todd