[osis-core] osisID as List

Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:09:27 -0600

Sorry for the confusion.  I am not suggesting that osisID be a range.
Please read the previous post.

> It was also my understanding of the matter (and my understanding
> of Steve's position) that osisIDs are never ranges.  I think that's
> a direct quote from Steve.
>
> However, that's a slightly different matter from what I understand
> Todd to be proposing -- that a single entity such as a paragraph
> could have several osisIDs.
>
> Take the Matt.1.6-Matt.1.11 case. If a single element corresponds
> to several osisIDs, how would you mark that up?
> [text of paragraph]
>
> However, I'm not sure this should really occur. At least in this
> example, I would suggest that the CEV is using a different
versification
> scheme, and it would use some other ID to identify that paragraph,
> perhaps Matt.1.6_11 (which is NOT a range, just a single osisID).
> A translation would be defined between the two schemes.

This does occur in the TEV starting with Matt.1.6.  There is a single
element that contains ALL of the that can be identified by Matt.1.6
Matt.1.7 Matt.1.8 Matt.1.9 Matt.1.10 and Matt.1.11.  It is not possible
to split up the text since the translator(s) did not choose to give us
any information as to where the divisions are.  As a result there is a
SINGLE element that is identified by several identifiers.

It is possible to declare that the TEV is really a different reference
system where a single identifier named Matt.1.6_11 identifies the
element and that the element would be mapped to other reference systems.
While the case where a truly different reference system exists and
should be supported, I believe that the translators of the TEV did not
intend to create a new reference system but rather felt it most
appropriate to homogenize the text identified by several references into
a single block of text.  They proceeded to associate the identifiers
from a standard reference system with the block of text.  We should not
create new reference systems that were not intended by the translators
only to suit our need/desire to have single unique identifier for each
block of text.  Rather we should encode that a block of text is
identified by several identifiers from the standard reference system.

> But could there ever be cases in which a single elemetn (e.g.
paragraph)
> corresponds to two or more osisIDs in the chosen reference scheme?
> I'm not sure. Perhaps. So maybe we SHOULD allow a list of osisIDs.

There are also the cases where more than one element corresponds to a
single identifier.

Todd