[osis-core] Candidate (with truly ugly regex, but validates)

Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:24:16 -0600

Patrick,

> Todd,
>
> Todd Tillinghast wrote:
>
> >Looking at <verse> element at this point.
> >
> >What are the roles of the attributes "osisWork" and "osisRef".  I
> >thought that we got rid of them.  "osisWork" is ambiguous and
redundant
> >related to the values in osisID.  What every "osisRef" would be used
for
> >should be accomplished with a <reference> element.
> >
> Think you are correct about osisWork (actually an optional part of
> osisID).
>
> osisRef is used by the <reference> element since we don't define how
> use XLink/XPointer in the syntax.

Do you mean that the osisRef attribute in globalAttributes
1) to provide a place for <references> to point to OR
2) that osisRef is the attribute in a <reference> element that does the
pointing?

If 1) then shouldn't the osisID be sufficient, if 2) then osisRef should
only be in the <reference> element not in globalAttributes.

> >There was discussion that also that "annotationWork" and
> >"annotationType" could be served as a child <reference> element with
the
> >"type" attribute of "annotation" and a "subtype" of whatever would
have
> >been put in the "annotationType" attribute.
> >
> Can you say a little more about what this would look like? I seem to
> remember the discussion but can't picture it at the moment. What sort
of
> child element? A local one?

<verse osisID="ABC"><reference osisRef="XYZ" type="annotation"
subtype="someAnnotationType"/>
</verse>
(If you don't like the value "annotation" then something like
"annotationWork" or something else would work the same.)

> >I do not see segID to go along with prev and next, with it absent
there
> >is no reliable values to put in prev and next.
> >
> Doesn't the named milestones (start/end) with matching osisIDs and
> splitIDs take care of that? (I will generate documentation a little
> later today and try to go  through it with a fine tooth comb. Will
also
> post it to the list.)

Are you suggesting that segmentation of elements is now handled NOT
using prev and next but rather through a milestone strategy or
"splitIDs"?  I'm not sure what you mean by splitID?

*
> >)?))"/>
> >	</xs:restriction>
> ></xs:simpleType>
> >
> Why do I need the list? That was obscure even for me! ;-)

Without the list we can only say <verse osisID="Matt.1.6">.

The list allows us to say <verse osisID="Matt.1.6 Matt.1.7 Matt.1.8
Matt.1.9 Matt.1.10 Matt.1.11">