[osis-core] Reference Syntax Proposal

Fri, 2 Aug 2002 19:45:29 -0600

> > Troy,
> >
> > Would what you suggested about including BOTH the identifier from
the
> > standard reference system AS WELL AS an identifier from a "work"
> > specific reference system look like the following?

> >          <title>The Ancestors of Jesus Christ</title>
ancestors
> > of Jesus Christ, a descendant of David, who was a descendant of
> > Abraham.</verseEnd>
Matt.1.6
> > Bible.TEV:Matt.1.6.a"><title>Matthew 1:2-6a</title>From Abraham to
King

> Yes, I guess it would follow that if you wished to allow <reference
> ref="Matt.1.6.a"> from outside this document, you would need to define
> the Bible.TEV versification scheme.  But then you probably just
declare
> it as extending the KJV (or something else), and then your references
in
> your document would default to this versification scheme, and the
> 'Bible.TEV:' prefix would not be necessary.  What do you think?

If you don't differentiate then you are back to using a "work" specific
reference system that users of the document would have to access through
a map between the standard reference system and the work specific
reference system that extends the standard reference system.  Although,
the mapping would likely be trivial in the case we are discussing, there
would be no way of knowing when the mapping is trivial and when the
mapping is more involved.  As a result to reliably access a reference,
users of a document would be forced to use a work specific reference
system or go through a map.

If only the deviations are specified using the work specific reference
system identifiers and the rest using the standard reference system,
including the standard identifiers that correspond to the extended
identifiers, you can get any verse using the standard identifiers and
can also get a view of the document specific quirks as needed.

> > This is appealing because it does not use extended identifiers while
> > providing a mechanism to include as a work specific reference system
as
> > needed!
>
> Well, I think I'm just trying to clarify other's positions that I had
> mentally bought into, so let's see what others say :)

Todd