[osis-core] osis_0108.3 Making milestone OSISID and OSISIDREF match. OPTION G and H

Sun, 14 Apr 2002 09:25:42 -0400

>I'm not a fan of having multiple referenceTypes in a single OSISID.
>
>How about OPTION G:
>This preserves OSISID as an xs:ID and still provides a way without making
>the verseStart milestone into a non milestone form.

And the reasoning for preserving OSISID as an xs:ID? That is the part
that I am missing.

I don't see any reason to keep trying to put ranges on OSISIDS, whether
they are xs:ID or xs:NMTOKENS. Ranges are difficult to validate,
particularly when moving across reference systems and I don't see ranges
as buying us anything for the current release.

Lets start with the assumption that ranges are not going appear in OSIS.
Whatever attribute, value, type, etc. IF you want ranges, the reason we
used NMTOKENS, fine, specify each verse reference for the limited number
of cases where that happens. Then even stupid software that does not
understand range syntax (unlike your software) can put the user out
close to the right place.

Note that your syntax is far more verbose that than that I suggested and
it does not gain you anything other than having the ability to say TEV
represents a foreign reference system as a range. Of what value is that?

Patrick