[osis-core] No general ID/IDREF?

Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:50:13 -0400

Todd,

Working through the schema and noticed that you dropped ID and IDREF on
all elements? Understand the need on milestones (so you don't conflict
with the subclassing of OSISID from xs:ID) but why are we dropping
ID/IDREF from all other elements?

I can imagine ID being useful in a number of situations, even if we
don't do referenceType validation. Users may want to define their own
references for elements (for any number of reasons) and ID/IDREF allows
them to do so without extending or conflicting with the reference system
you have in place.

Was there some reason to drop ID/IDREF? We can always make them optional
so users don't have to use them.