[osis-core] Reference Proposal: OSIS_0106 (tomorrow)

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 10:54:07 -0400

Guys,

Here is a proposal for tomorrow:

Terms:

ID: who-am-i (just a string)

IDREF: what who-am-i do I point at? (just a string but must occur in
document instance)

Reference: Identifier of where do I point? (may or may not be in the
document instance, broken into beginning and ending reference)

Validation Mechanisms:

IDREFS are validated by the parser, does it point to an ID in the
document instance?

Reference: does it match a reference scheme (such as compScriptureRef)?

Proposal:

All elements bear ID and IDREF (optional) attributes.

The ID for a book, chapter, verse, can always be Gen, _1Kgs, etc., but
should bear in mind that is just a string. Only requirement is that it
be unique.

Probably do need to make suggestions (examples?) of best practices for
constructing IDs.

IDREF is also just a string, but it is one that must occur in the
document instance.

but the only reference scheme we are proposing is for bibles.

Make reference and referenceEnd attributes on all elements. This allows
them to say what portions of the text they are surround (even for
milestones) or to what other texts do they point (not part of the
document instance).

Make reference and referenceEnd of datatype ReferenceType and make
ReferenceType a union of compScriptureRef.xsd and attribute extension
(at least for this release.)

This has the advantage that people can use the "x-" extension mechanism
now and when we issue later reference schemes, those can be unions of
"x-" and the new standard reference so all older documents validate as
well (without re-coding).

I will try to hack something along these lines into OSIS_0106 later today.