[osis-core] OSIS_0105:18 Pointers on milestones, other

Sat, 06 Apr 2002 14:53:13 -0500

Troy,

Replies below:

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

>><bookStart ID="John" />
>> <chapterStart ID="John.1" />
>>   <verseStart ID="John.1.1" />
>>     <w ID="John.1.1.1">In</w>
>>   <verseEnd refID="John.1.1" />
>> <chapterEnd refID="John.1" />
>><bookEnd refID="John" />
>>

>Actually, something like the above is for what I was hoping.
>
>Same 'ID', 'refID' on each milestone.
>
>Now, I don't care if it's ID/refID, or reference/referenceEnd, just
>didn't care for VerseStart/refVerseEnd, ChapterStart/refChapterEnd,
>etc., for the same function.  I think it will trim our attribute number
>down, along with our learning curve.  And I KNOW Patrick's goal is to
>have less elements/attributes!
>

>>Actually I like the implied semantics (makes it clear that it is
>>referring to something else) and as Troy points out, has advantages for
>>coding.
>>

>Now that I've expounded, were we still liking the same thing?

Yes, because the ID in the first instance is just an ID, it is not a
pointer. IDREF is a pointer, but it is a pointer to an ID (not doing
double duty as an identifier).

Note that on things that attach, notes for example, it would have an ID
= "Note127" with reference = "John.1.1" plus optional referenceEnd =
"John.1.5" where the reference and referenceEnd are datatype IDREF, in
other words they point to IDs in the text (makes sure your notes match
the IDs in the text).

Note that ID and IDREF are just conventions, could use other terms. Will
be familiar to most encoding folks and carry the semantics of the
datatype (although you could associate the datatype with another name
(the source of the error in the OSIS_0104 schema that was not caught by
XMLSpy!).

>>A psychological or moral weakness is one you don't suffer from! ;-)
>>

>You have twisted but strangely clever sense of humor ;)

Glad you liked it! Actually it came up in a conversation yesterday with
a friend whose wife is taking a criminology graduate degree and they
were visiting AA meetings as part of classroom activities on disease vs.
psychological/moral weakness analysis of substance abuse. That is what
provoked my observation, which he said he would report back to his wife.
Poor girl, probably will get in trouble for something I said! ;-)

Patrick

BTW, going offline for a bit to help Carol with some yard work. Yikes!
Go outside! The sun is still out! Bad joss!