[osis-core] Latest Revision

Wed, 05 Dec 2001 09:53:47 -0500

--------------000307060300090403050304

NOTE: We promised the public posting of this draft to the website by the
end of this week. Please review and get back to me by Thursday. I am
leaving Friday for the XML 2001 conference and will have limited time
(read none at all!) to deal with changes or corrections. Thanks! Patrick

Greetings,

I had a delightful conversation with Kees this morning on the phone and
have incorporated several of his suggestions in the latest draft. Some
significant changes to note:

1. Using the language "standard editions", understood to be modern
editions of the biblical text. In order to get a useable but expandable
work product out the door,  I think we need to focus on the standard
editions and cover variants on those in a later release. No matter how
many notes BHS and NA27 have, they remain just texts with notes. From a
markup standpoint, it is not even a critical apparatus, just notes on a
text. (I take a critical apparatus as allowing the automatic
re-construction of base and witness texts, a far cry from BHS and NA27.)

2. By that narrowing of the focus, I have introduced several other
changes: (I am not suggesting we not pursue these, some are my pets as
well, but I  would like to get us a scope we can meet and do it well in
the time available. I intend to pursue these other issues onward and
will not simply declare victory as some text projects have done.)

Delete LTS 3, the images, graphics, video, etc. not really part of a
standard edition.  Is important for children's bibles, illustrated
bibles and the like, but we can add that in a separate module. I don't
think we have to revisit the HyTime linking, etc. issues at this point.

3. Changed on LTS 3 (renumbered from 4)  that structures like a table of
contents will be defined. From a markup standpoint it is really an
artifact of the rendering process but I think Kees is  correct in
thinking some publishers/authors will be happier with static structures
here.

4.  I have removed certainty and responsibility from the notes section.
If we are authoring standard editions, there is really no question about
certainty or responsiblity. Those can only arise when working with
original witnesses. BHS and NA27 are reports about witnesses and hence
there is no uncertainty about what they report. We may disagree with
those sources but there is no doubt about what they say about a
particular text or witness. To the extent they speak of a witness, it is
a note.

5.  I have dropped the open issues section as inappropriate to a
requirements document. In particular take note that resolving multiple
references is no longer a requirement for OSIS 1.0. Recall that I have
suggested that the scope be limited to standard editions and that is not
an issue for such texts. It is an issue I think we should address, just
not in the OSIS 1.0 release. In that regard, note the editing of
Reference 1.

I have deleted Reference 6 as being a duplicate of Reference 2.  If the
document is required to declare a numbering scheme, OSIS will need to
provide a mechanism for so doing. The resolution of that scheme against
others is a topic for a later release.

Comments, suggestions,  corrections, additions, deletions are all welcome!

--------------000307060300090403050304

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<head>
<title>OSIS Requirements</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/base.css">
</head>
<h1>OSIS Requirements<br>
</h1>
<h2>BTWG Working Draft 5 December 2001</h2>
<dl>
<dt>This version:</dt>
<dd>
		</dd>
<dt>Latest version:</dt>
<dd>
		</dd>
<dt>Previous versions:</dt>

<dd>
</dd>

<dd>
		</dd>
<dd>

		</dd>
<dd>
	                http://www.sbl-site2.org/osis/04osis-requirements-20011108.html</a>
		</dd>
<dd>
			http://www.sbl-site2.org/osis/03osis-requirements-20011106.html</a>
		</dd>
<dd>
			http://www.sbl-site2.org/osis/02osis-requirements-20011102.html</a>
		</dd>
<dd>
                        http://www.sbl-site2.org/osis/01osis-requirements-20011020.html</a>
	        </dd>

<dt>Editor:</dt>

<dd>
<dt>Contributors:</dt>
<dd>

	                        Steve DeRose
		                Jerry Fincher (American Bible Society Interactive, ABSi) <a href="mailto:dandjfincher@juno.com">&lt;dandjfincher@juno.com&gt;</a><br>

		</dd>
</dl>

<hr title="Separator for header">
<h2>
<a name="abstract">Abstract</a>
</h2>
		<h2>
<a name="status">Status of this document</a>
</h2>
<h4>Distribution: Public</h4>

<h2>Table of Contents</h2>
<a name="section-Overview"></a><h2>1. Overview</h2>

			<h2>
<a name="section-Terminology"></a>2. Terminology</h2>
             the extent to which an item is a requirement for the work of the Bible Technology
             Working Group:</p>
				<dl>

						<dt>
</dt>
						<dd>
						</dd>

						<dt>
</dt>
						<dd>
                     treat this item as a requirement, but the full implications should be
                     understood and the case carefully weighed before discarding this item.</p>
						</dd>

						<dt>
</dt>
						<dd>
                     study is needed to determine whether the item should be treated as a
                     requirement.</p>
						</dd>

				</dl>

<a name="section-General-Requirements"></a><h2>3. General Requirements</h2>

<h4>Definition of Scope</h4>
<h4>General Syntax</h4>
<h4>Modular Architecture</h4>
<h4>OSIS Specification Language</h4>
<h4>Non-English OSIS Specifications</h4>
<h4>SGML Compatibility</h4>
<h4>Conformance</h4>

<a name="#section-Metadata-Requirements"></a><h2>4. Metadata Requirements</h2>

<a name="section-LTS-Requirements"></a><h2>5. Large Text Structure Requirements</h2>

<a name="section-Notes-Requirements"></a><h2>6. Notes and Annotation Requirements</h2>

<a name="section-Pharse-Requirements"></a><h2>7. Phrase Level Requirements</h2>

<a name="section-Reference-Requirements"></a><h2>8. Reference/Linking Requirements</h2>

<a name="#section-Conclusion-Requirements"><h2>9. Conclusion</h2>

--------------000307060300090403050304--