[osis-core] Latest Draft - Soon to be Public! Please Read/Comment

Sun, 02 Dec 2001 11:38:38 -0500

--------------000706020802070808000507

(Please send best times to call on Monday and Tuesday of this week,
December 3 - 4, 2001. I am going to XML 2001 at the end of the week so
anyone who has not  sent in a call time by early Monday afternoon,  I
will be calling to: 1. Make sure you are OK and, 2. Get  your comments
on   this latest draft.

Greetings,

I have uploaded and attached the latest draft of the OSIS Requirements
Document.

Please note that we indicated that the requirements draft would be made
public this week, so it is important that we put the finishing touches
on this document in the next several days.

Web address: http://www.sbl-site2.org/osis

Login name: osis

Password: osisxsem

A quick summary of changes in the document:

Overview:

I dropped the references to scope of OSIS 1.0. Not really relevant here
and as noted by Kees, repetitious and confusing (not to mention too
broad, as per both Kees and Bob H. ). More properly included under
General Requirements.

General Requirements:

I have added language that sets forth a more limited scope to the
project but also designated non-normative language to indicate our
present understanding of this and other mattters. Thought it might help
bring clarity to the rather stilted language of the requirements.

I have tried to make it clear what we are working towards is an encoding
standard for biblical texts, not an encoding for legacy materials. In
other words, an authoring rather than legacy encoding standard. I
suspect that is actually the primary concern of the bible societies and
translators (the audiences that will hit the ground with OSIS sooner
than the others).

It will be much easier to satisfy the needs of the communty represented
by Kees, for example, if I don't have to account for all the various
legacy systems used in prior written translation work. The question we
pose to translators, in the present sense is, "What do you need to
translate the biblical text?" To be sure that will be informed by prior
practices and there is no reason to be deliberately different from prior
writtten practices but on the other hand, we don't need to account for
every legacy system in our first effort.

Informally I would say the scope of OSIS 1.0 is: An authoring encoding
for simple editions (Abingdon's edition of the NRSV as an example) of
translations of the biblical text and such additional mechanisms as are
required by translators for the authoring of similar translations of the
biblical text. Does that get our scope down to something we can manage
for the 1.0 release, assuming even that is broken into modules?

Meta-Data

No changes.

Large Text Structures:

Recall Kees' comment that:

*LTS.4* OSIS 1.0 SHOULD define default structures for common divisions
of printed texts, including such structures as title page, front, body,
back, as well as place holders for generated text objects such as a
table of contents, index, table of illustrations, etc.

should be  a MUST.

To what extent, however, are these just artifacts of the printing
process? Robin, Steve? I know from a legacy standpoint we treat them as
containers, and they are in some sense of the word, but if I am
authoring, I have simple declared those divisions in my stylesheet. Or
will that be too much of a jump for the publishing audience.

I have no real objection to it being a MUST but thought I would raise
the issue. Perhaps in a publisher's module?

*Note.4* OSIS 1.0 SHOULD define the usage of notes for critical
apparatus in a biblical text.

I have changed this to MUST to meet Kees' request. I don't see it
conceptually as different from the other notes but specific inclusion
will be easier to explain to the translation community. NOTE: I do not
see the requirements of this sort of note, or its content model, as
being at all similar to the text critical apparatus of TEI. While I like
the TEI mechanims and will be using them at the character level in the
Leningradensis project, I can't see any translation project need for
that complex a level of markup. (At least not from OSIS 1.0)

Open Issues Section:

Should I simply delete these items or move both of these to the
introductory material and explain that while important, and will be used
by OSIS 1.0, they don't really properly belong in the OSIS 1.0
requirements document. They really need to have a separate requirements
document all their own.

Steve: I owe you an email over the various names we have been giving
different sections or modules. I will try to get to that this afternoon.
I don't think that we should wholly separate out modules into function
groups.

For example, the basic module, perhaps Bible_Encoder.1.0, would include
the strutural elements we have discussed, along  with the
metadata/linking as one single package. I think we can get a fairly
basic package in under the wire in 25 -30 elements. That will not be
enough for translators but would meet the needs of pastors,  Sunday
school   teachers, etc. Then a Translator_Add_On.1.0 would go on top of
 that module to give Kees the note and alignment capabilities, perhaps
some added attributes, and all  he need learn is the additional elements.

I think you are right about the advanced module being optimistic for
next Fall! ;-)

Note that I have not mentioned the bibliographic material, which I think
should get its own set of requirements.

Hope everyone is in good  health and spirits!

--------------000706020802070808000507

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<head>
<title>OSIS Requirements</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/base.css">
</head>
<h1>OSIS Requirements<br>
</h1>
<h2>BTWG Working Draft 3 December 2001</h2>
<dl>
<dt>This version:</dt>
<dd>
		</dd>
<dt>Latest version:</dt>
<dd>
		</dd>
<dt>Previous versions:</dt>
<dd>
		</dd>
<dd>

		</dd>
<dd>
	                http://www.sbl-site2.org/osis/04osis-requirements-20011108.html</a>
		</dd>
<dd>
			http://www.sbl-site2.org/osis/03osis-requirements-20011106.html</a>
		</dd>
<dd>
			http://www.sbl-site2.org/osis/02osis-requirements-20011102.html</a>
		</dd>
<dd>
                        http://www.sbl-site2.org/osis/01osis-requirements-20011020.html</a>
	        </dd>

<dt>Editor:</dt>

<dd>
<dt>Contributors:</dt>
<dd>

	                        Steve DeRose
		                Jerry Fincher (American Bible Society Interactive, ABSi) <a href="mailto:dandjfincher@juno.com">&lt;dandjfincher@juno.com&gt;</a><br>

		</dd>
</dl>

<hr title="Separator for header">
<h2>
<a name="abstract">Abstract</a>
</h2>
		<h2>
<a name="status">Status of this document</a>
</h2>
<h4>Distribution: Public</h4>

<h2>Table of Contents</h2>
<a name="section-Overview"></a><h2>1. Overview</h2>

			<h2>
<a name="section-Terminology"></a>2. Terminology</h2>
             the extent to which an item is a requirement for the work of the Bible Technology
             Working Group:</p>
				<dl>

						<dt>
</dt>
						<dd>
						</dd>

						<dt>
</dt>
						<dd>
                     treat this item as a requirement, but the full implications should be
                     understood and the case carefully weighed before discarding this item.</p>
						</dd>

						<dt>
</dt>
						<dd>
                     study is needed to determine whether the item should be treated as a
                     requirement.</p>
						</dd>

				</dl>

<a name="section-General-Requirements"></a><h2>3. General Requirements</h2>

<h4>Definition of Scope</h4>
<h4>General Syntax</h4>
<h4>Modular Architecture</h4>
<h4>OSIS Specification Language</h4>
<h4>Non-English OSIS Specifications</h4>
<h4>SGML Compatibility</h4>
<h4>Conformance</h4>

<a name="#section-Metadata-Requirements"></a><h2>4. Metadata Requirements</h2>

<a name="section-LTS-Requirements"></a><h2>5. Large Text Structure Requirements</h2>

<a name="section-Notes-Requirements"></a><h2>6. Notes and Annotation Requirements</h2>

<a name="section-Pharse-Requirements"></a><h2>7. Phrase Level Requirements</h2>

<a name="section-Reference-Requirements"></a><h2>8. Reference/Linking Requirements</h2>

<a name="#section-OpenIssues-Requirements"><h2>9. Open Issues</h2>

<a name="#section-Conclusion-Requirements"><h2>10. Conclusion</h2>

--------------000706020802070808000507--