[mobile-devel] A new build of And Bible is now available

Martin Denham mjdenham at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 09:32:05 MST 2011

Hi Michael,

I haven't done any translations but as a developer here are my thoughts.

There is not actually very much that has changed so do not translate
everything again.  From memory an overview of changes are:
    strings.xml has a few extra strings including strings for a new Speech
Dialog
    arrays.xml has a new string at the top (Book for the new Book module)
and a list of languages which you can optionally translate
    There are other small changes too that either side-by-side comparison of
a file comparison tool will show

Unfortunately there is no programmatic translation update support.  The way
I believe must people approach it is to
    visually compare the previous Hebrew translation with the current
English translation and add the missing lines
or
    use a file comparison tool to compare the English translation for ver
2.0.01 with the latest English translation to work out the differences and
amend the previous Hebrew translation
or
    I can send you a general list of changes to assist you if you wish

There are various file comparison tools.  I tend to use text editors like
TextPad or NotePad++ (not the default Notepad) to show differences between
files.

There is a facility to edit files directly in the browser if that is easier.
 For example if you

   -     go to
   http://code.google.com/p/and-bible/source/browse/trunk/AndBible/res/values-he/strings.xml
   -     then press the 'Edit file' link near the top in the middle
   -     pressing save will create an issue with a difference between the
   checked in file and the file when you pressed save
   -     I will then need to apply the diff file to update the translation

I was originally hoping to do a build for release this evening, although it
will probably slip to tomorrow morning, so I was wondering when you were
thinking of doing the translation.

Best regards
Martin

If anybody would like to investigate Translation Launchpad integration it
may simplify things.