[mobile-devel] Bible Text Rendering Speed, SR Beta 1

SonWon sonwon.1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 17:12:52 MST 2009

I have several suggestions so this will be the first one of many.  None
of these suggestions are meant as criticisms and should not be thought
of as such.

My first topic is Bible Text rendering speed.

Device, Sprint Mogul, HTC Titan, Mobile 6.

When I go to Mark 12:12 it takes 6 seconds to render.  I believe this is
a quirk of my device.  What I find puzzling is I have an old Bible
Reader program (PPC 2003) I wrote several years ago and it renders the
same text in less than a second.  KJV with Strongs in both examples.
Strongs is turned off and both are loaded to the storage card.

My first thought is it has something to do with the disk (memory).  My
reader makes one call to disk and pulls the whole chapter in one
operation into memory.  I am guessing SwordReader pulls the text one
verse at a time from Sword?  David confirm please.  My Reader has to
decompress the chapter after loading.  It then converts to RTF and sends
to the control for rendering.

Don't ask me to code, I have seen David's work and he is a very good
coder.  I am just a hacker.

I hope we can find some way to track this down since my pastor moves
much faster.  :)

Another topic that maybe related is the search speed, but I will keep
that in a different email.

~
SonWon