[mobile-devel] SwordReader beta 1

David Trotz dtrotzjr at crosswire.org
Mon Feb 2 12:05:44 MST 2009

Barry,
Thanks for taking the time to play around with the latest incarnation. I
myself am still amazed I got this far. It was a long and arduous road. Many
times I felt overwhelmed, and scared that I would not be able to pull it
off, and the time constraints of family life and work also worked against
me, but, by His grace, and help, we have what we have today. I can say in
all humility (if there is any in me at all) that it was because He helped me
along the way. Oh, and special thanks to my wife, for allowing me the time I
needed to work on SwordReader. She was very supportive and encouraging along
the way.

> Not so much a problem, more an observation.  My Pocket PC has a hard
> keyboard.  Keystrokes onto this are not recognised.  To input a search
> string, I have to use the onscreen virtual keypad.  No problem for a
> search, but if I used a personal commentary, I would want the hard
> keyboard to work.  (I never use a personal commentary anyhow).  I also
> have a Bluetooth external keyboard: I haven't checked this out yet, but
> next time I connect to it I'll let you know.

Interesting that your keyboard does not work. I have the SCH-i970 and it has
a slide out thumb board, which works perfectly. Not sure why yours isn't
working. I know you mentioned this before but what unit are you using? I
will look into it more. Are you sure when you type that the search edit
field has focus?

> The search speed is incredible compared with what you inherited from me!
>   Congratulations!  It isn't going to get any better unless someone
> takes on the SoText concept .....  any offers?

Any speed improvements you experience are because Troy made some fixes to
the sword engine. Yeah we definitely want to persue the soText or clucene
routes if we are to have reasonable search times, cause you are right there
isn't much more we can do to speed things up.

--
In Christ,
David Trotz