[jsword-devel] PersonalJava version of JSword

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 22:11:54 +0000

Aleksander Rozman - Andy wrote:

> At 1/5/2004, you wrote:
>
> Hi !
>
> I am Andy and I will try to answer that for you, you will get more
> detailed info from Joe.
>
> JSword uses quite a lot of libraries, you would have to have place for
> all of them (about 5M, maye little less) , and of course you would need
> osis classes (1.2 Mb) and of course JSword.

It does - I've just been looking through them, and we could trim them
down quite a bit. From the jar directory:
bsf - not used much, I think the command line front end uses it, from a
personal java POV, it could go.
jaxb - the more i think about it this is going to be a killer - getting
this to work on PJ is a fair old task, probably best to see if JaxME
(Apache incubator project) will do the job.
jdom - as far as I can remember this is only used for the config stuff
now, and you don't need the config system if you only want the basics,
so you can probably ditch this one
junit - only for unit tests
lang - useful jakarta utils. Can probably write out fairly easily
log4j - only used via our logging wrapper, so you could get rid of this
by editing a single file.
lucene - optionally used for searching, there is another search engine
available within jsword, so this could go
servlets - obviously not needed!
xalan-  back to the thorny XML question, that I don't know the answer to.

A while ago we had a system to abstract away the dependency on JAXB, but
the abstraction system became a burden so we made a decision to drop it.
I don't regret that decision, because the system is better for it. I
don't think we had any choice really.

Joe