[jsword-devel] PersonalJava version of JSword

Erik Reitsma jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:49:29 +0100 (CET)

Hi!
In the archives of this list I saw a discussion about the possibility of
porting JSword to portable devices, such as a SonyEricsson P800. I have
such a device, and since there is no (free and good) bible software
available for it, JSword could be interesting for me.
However, the P800 runs PersonalJava. It is comparable to JDK 1.1.8, with
some small extensions. But it definitively does not support Swing
(although it could be added, but that would be far from ideal).
I had a look at the interfaces, and it seemed to me that there were
relations between some interfaces. I.e. BookData refers to a (generated?)
Osis class.
I would not mind putting *some* effort into making some sort of port of
JSword to PersonalJava, if it does not require a major rewrite of large
parts of the code.
Which interfaces should be re-implemented? Any tips? Any ideas about how
feasible this would be?
O yes, the P800 has something like 8MB RAM available, and can store files
on a MemoryStick (I have 128MB). So it would be good to have as little
book-data in memory as necessary, since it may fill up the 8MB quickly...

Regards,
*Erik.