[Ichthux-devel] The Future if IchthuX

Thu Oct 27 22:46:31 MST 2005

On Thursday 20 October 2005 01:05 pm, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On 10/20/05, David Blue <linuxdave at frontiernet.net> wrote:
> > 1)I think we should consider moving to (k)ubuntu as a base rather than
> > knoppix because (k)ubuntu is supposed to have better laptop support
>
> I'm not opposed to an Ichthux-derivative being kubuntu-based, but core
> Ichthux should work in Debian main for the reasons we've already
> discussed (broader support for Debian main, flexibility of also making
> derivatives based on that work in main).  My worry in rushing too
> quickly to a kubuntu-based derivative is it may draw energy away from
> the essential Debian main work that will make this project successful.
>  I'd advocate, therefore, some cautious experimentation of a kubuntu /
> Ichthux derivative by those who consider it a priority, while in
> parallel, keeping a strong commitment and development momentum in
> producing both a livecd and an install CD from Debian main itself.  I
> realize that pragmatism may drive some people impatient with waiting
> for the Debian main livecd work to be finished to just forge ahead
> with kubuntu, but caution that longer-term focus on such a product
> will end up damaging the project by landing it right back in the
> position we were in with the Knoppix-derivative-of-a-derivative.

I'm not really talking long term solution here, I really only mentioned it
because IchthuX doesn't work very well on my box and didn't work on the
laptop I tried to use when I Was giving a presentation. Of course, neither
did ubuntu 5.04 either, but that's another story all together. All I'm really
wanting with this is to get a product out that supports with the hardware
people are trying to use it on while we get our CDD or whatever completed.

> > 5)Packaging, just an idea I've been kicking around is to have a
> > repository for the various installers (apt,yast,yum,urpmi,etc) for the
> > various
> > opensource/linux christian programs. So you could have something like
>
> I'm not thrilled about this.  I think this diffuses our energies into
> maintenance tasks that will drag us away from our core development
> priorities.  What do yum and yast have to do with developing Ichthux
> as a Debian CDD?  I think you have a different vision that may be
> worth pursuing as a separate project, maybe a sister project to
> Ichthux (or maybe under thefreelyproject.org, which has a broader
> mandate).

You're right, I do have a different vision. My vision isn't about the CDDs, or
packaging, or being the next great distro. It's about bringing the greatest
glory to Christ. If that is making this a CDD then, let us do that. But let
us not become so pedantic in our focus on being a CDD that we lose sight of
bringing Christ glory.

As for my idea, yum and yast have nothing to do with developing IchthuX as a
CDD, it has to do with getting the word of God to the widest possible
audience. I only mentioned it because it is my understanding that a
distributed compile tool called icecream will make this process ridiculously
easy, by being able to compile for different distro's quickly without having
to do large amounts of reconfiguring. At least, if I am remembering what the
kde dev I spoke with at Ohio linux fest correctly. So it then becomes a
matter of some scripts and boom you've got our package, one for debian, one
for yast, one for fedora, centos/rhel, etc. And really, after weeding out
bugs in the setup due to compile/configuration errors on our part bugs get
sent up stream.