[Ichthux-devel] The Future if IchthuX

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 11:29:30 MST 2005

Le Jeudi 20 Octobre 2005 16:23, David Blue a écrit :
> Ok, so I had some ideas about what we can do with the future of IchthuX.
>
> 1)I think we should consider moving to (k)ubuntu as a base rather than
> knoppix because (k)ubuntu is supposed to have better laptop support

I personnaly switched to Kubuntu some weeks ago and plan to stay with it.
Still just like Ben I think it's better to develop ichthux for Debian. Debian
packages work in Ubuntu without any problem most of the time (and in
particular meta-packages are not an issue at all). The closer we stay to
Debian, the largest choice people can have on what core distro they want to
use with Ichthux (Debian, (K)Ubuntu, Xandros, Linspire or whatever they
want). It would be possible when Ichthux is ready to release a version based
on (K)Ubuntu but working on Ubuntu from now would prevent Ichthux from being
compatible with other distros (and to benefit from alioth).

> 2)We need better support for unicode, particularly for greek and hebrew
> (and possibly other biblical languages)
>
> 3)Update to at least kde3.4. There have been a *lot* of usability
> enhancements and other fixes since the version we're currently using

Since Ichthux is made of metapackages only so far, it is independent from the
KDE version. It should be installable on any version of KDE that supports the
included packages.

> 4)Artwork. I don't mind our current artwork, but the boot splash and
> ksplash and everything basically having the same design/layout doesn't help
> accent what's going on, perhaps we could switch to a different ksplash
> engine so the splash screen looks much more like the boot spalsh (which is
> what suse 10 has done)

You're welcome to work on this if this is something you can do. However this
is not the main goal. In the past I think we have focused too much on artwork
and not enough on packaging. I think packaging should be the main task now.
Now if you can't package and can do some artwork, then great :)

> 5)Packaging, just an idea I've been kicking around is to have a repository
> for the various installers (apt,yast,yum,urpmi,etc) for the various
> opensource/linux christian programs. So you could have something like

Just as Ben again, I don't agree. I think we should focus on Debian first
(which is already a lot of work). Then if people from other distros come and
want to package for their favourite distro, fine. But we have yet to build
something that works fine under Debian (and can thus be used in Debian
derivatives too).

Raphaël