[Ichthux-devel] The purpose of IchthuX

Tue May 17 13:48:01 MST 2005

With all the discussions about licenses, and packages, and packaging practices
I was wondering, what exactly is the purpose of IchthuX? I mean is it just
another linux distribution geared towards Christians? Or is it something
more, something like a ministry.

If we are only the former, then by all means conduct business as all the other
distros do, do what is best for the distro. However, if we are indeed the
latter then we should be focusing on what will bring God the most glory,
since that is truly the ultimate goal of any ministry or any project of/from
God.

If it will bring more glory to God to maintain an idealistic standard for free
software and documents based on the Debian social contract, or what ever the
chosen metric becomes, then by all means let us do that. But if maintaining a
more loose view of freedom with things like including PitP in the core would
bring God the more glory, then I say we should do this instead, even if it
means we are not living up to the debian standard.

And while I like the whole free as in lemonade/speech/freedom spectrum, I
personally would much rather see IchthuX be free as in grace.

Just some thoughts.