[Ichthux-devel] choosing packages

Daniel Glassey danglassey at ntlworld.com
Mon May 9 13:20:03 MST 2005

Hi,
One of the value added parts of any distribution particularly a custom
debian distro is the default choice of programs to achieve any
particular task. The Debian way is to package many things that do the
same task so there are often many choices. I think the ichthux
metapackages should install these, and these packages are what should be
on the live CD/install CD. Any other choices can be installed from Debian.

So, we need to choose what tasks there are that we want people to be
able to do, and what apps to provide by default for them.

Here are some tasks to kick things off:

Word Processor
Spreadsheet
Email
Task Management
Calendar
Web Browser
Internet Chat
Music Playing
PDF Viewer
Bible Study
Firewall
Web Proxy/Content Filtering
Spam Filtering
CD Burner
Audio CD Ripper

Please suggest more. btw before we start the (potential flamewar)
discussion about what packages to choose let's discuss what tasks we
want first. Please.

Regards,
Daniel