[bt-devel] Proposed change for BibleTime

Jaak Ristioja jaak at ristioja.ee
Thu Sep 20 23:47:41 MST 2018

Hi, Gary!

On 21.09.2018 05:25, Gary Holmlund wrote:
> I wanted your approval before going any farther.

Thank you for the update. You have my approval. As you have probably
already noticed, I'm not currently a (very) active BibleTime developer,
and I don't want to get in your way with things. So feel free to go
ahead with this feature and merge/rebase to master when ready.

> It is implemented for the "read" windows. Most features are implemented.
> The main missing features now relate to the context menus (Find, copy,
> etc.). These are not a problem to finish. They just require some more
> time. Optionally we could eliminate all usage of QWebEngine by working
> on the MAG view, the personal commentary editing, the search dialog, the
> about dialog, etc.

I compiled and ran BibleTime from your mv2 branch, and it looks good.
One glitch I noticed is that the BtBibleKeyWidget did not update the
location when I scrolled the view using the scrollbar.

You might also want to think about improving scrolling with mouse, e.g.
change the cursor to a grab cursor when the user can grab the document
to scroll, perhaps implement some means for faster scrolling, and
perhaps even automatic scrolling. For example, in Okular one can grab
the document with the cursor and then scroll it with moving the cursor
even up to the top or bottom edge of the screen beyond which scrolling
continues so that the cursor appears at the opposite of the screen still
holding the grab. Okular also has the nice feature of automatic
scrolling, which can be toggled and incrementally acceleratedor
decelerated by the Shift+Up or Shift+Down key combinations.