[bt-devel] Sword++ Warnings

Jaak Ristioja jaak at ristioja.ee
Sun Oct 2 12:55:40 MST 2016

Dear Gary,

I am sorry about the confusion caused through my fault. I could probably
have considered my words more carefully, as well as taken some more time
to think through and formulate the expectations more specifically and
with a bit more care. I was certainly not prepared to handle interest in
contributing to Sword++ so soon, and perhaps some of what I've said is
contradictory. As I wrote in my previous e-mail, I'm a better developer
than a project lead. Even worse as a spokesperson. I'm sorry for the
setback I've caused. I agree that I'm sometimes a difficult person to
work with.

One of the goals is to fix bugs. The changes just hid the problem even
more by silencing the warnings. Yes, you did add a run time error
message, but that doesn't win us much. While I agree, that as
developers, having zero warnings is a good thing, this should not come
by hiding warnings but by fixing or working around the fundamental
issues behind these warnings. Yes, fixing such would have been a huge
undertaking, so I see that suggesting to fix the warnings first was (at
least in part) a mistake. I'm still a bit at a loss about what else to
recommend for starters.

Yes, my changes to listkey.cpp introduced more warnings. I'll get to
those later. I think it is inevitable we get them in these early stages
of development. These are caused by wrong types being used. I corrected
some types to get rid of some signed-vs-unsigned and similar warnings,
only for several others of the same type popping up because of my fix.
Not that my fix was a step in the wrong direction, but that wrong types
are being used in much of the code. Given such huge problems with the
code, I could have written one mega-commit fixing the problem at many
places, but I decided to address the issue more incrementally with
several commits.

Jaak