[bt-devel] New BibleTime Frontend Proposal

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 07:07:17 MST 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Gary Holmlund <gary.holmlund at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have been watching smart phones and tablets rise in sales as
> desktop/laptop computers are not selling very well. I think it is time to
> think about BibleTime for mobile computers.
>
> Qt 5.1 will officially support Android and IOS, if your program is written
> in Qt Quick/QML. Because QML is quite different from Qt widgets, this
> requires a completely new frontend.
>
> I am willing to put in the effort to make this happen for Android. I am
> not asking for your help, unless you want to. :)    I would appreciate
> guidance along the way.

I think this is a marvelous idea. The only other Android Sword app that's
out there branches off of JSword because of Android's apparently better
support for Java apps than for C libraries.

> To show you that I am serious, I have already created a prototype running
> on linux using Qt 5.0.1. This prototype just has basic bible/commentary
> windows, verse changing, module changing. The windows can be arranged
> tabbed, horizontal, vertical, and auto-tiled. It has many features and much
> usability yet to be worked on. Please look at this screen capture:
>
> http://sourcearchives.com/**downloads/bibletime-mobile.**webm<http://sourcearchives.com/downloads/bibletime-mobile.webm>
>
> The prototype is on a local git branch and integrated with the BibleTime
> cmake build using the BIBLETIME_FRONTEND mechanism already defined in
> BTSourceFileList.txt. You can either build BibleTime or BibleTimeMobile.

Part of the process should be a sharp delineation between the frontend code
and the backend code. This is an effort we've talked about "in theory" for
a while in order to improve the ability to generate new front ends easily.
Doing so would permit us to have a structure something like src/backend and
src/frontend/desktop, src/frontend/phone src/frontend/tablet or whatever.

I'm a fan of it, and your prototype looks like a good start!

--Greg