[bt-devel] Problem with Indexing in BT 2.8.1

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 12:59:53 MST 2012

You should ALWAYS use the latest version of osis2mod from SVN and
never the version that came out with a SWORD release, unless you're
dealing with archaic SWORD libraries that you for some strange reason
need to have compatibility with. That said...

There seem to be too many moving parts here to determine which exactly
is the culprit. Use these combinations and to test:

1) r2671 - 1.6.2 - 2.8.4
2) r2671 - 1.6.2 - 2.9.1
3) r2671 - 1.6.0 - 2.8.4
4) r2671 - 1.6.0 - 2.9.1
5) r2400 - 1.6.0 - 2.8.4
6) r2400 - 1.6.0 - 2.9.1
7) r2400 - 1.6.2 - 2.8.4
8) r2400 - 1.6.2 - 2.9.1

Start at the top of the list and move down. I have ordered them the
way I did so as to hopefully produce the smallest set of tests that
you need to do in order to determine the culprit. BibleTime does not
use SWORD's indexing but instead uses its own. Use the following
criteria realizing that the exact inverse of working/not working is
equivalent to what I'm saying here as well

a) If the module works with 1 but not with 2 (or with 2 but not 1),
then problem is in BibleTime's code and you can stop.
b) If the module works with 1 and 2 but not with 3 and 4 (ditto the
reverse), then the problem is in the SWORD library or the
SWORD-BibleTime bridge and you can stop.
b.5) If it works with 1-4 but not 5-8 (same with the reverse) then the
problem is with osis2mod
c) Only if neither of those setups gives the proper answer should you
move on and test 5-8. In that case, send back the full results of your
testing so we can tease out the proper conclusion.

You might also try these four combos as well, while you're doing the testing
1) r2671 - 1.6.2
2) r2671 - 1.6.0
3) r2400 - 1.6.2
4) r2400 - 1.6.0

For these tests either use Xiphos to create the index or use the
command line tool "mkfastmod" to do the indexing. This would help us
figure out if the problem is in SWORD or BibleTime (or even the module
itself).

--Greg