[bt-devel] Serious personal commentary overwrite bug - FIXED

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 22:13:54 MST 2011

On 03/01/2011 11:39 PM, Jaak Ristioja wrote:

> On 02.03.2011 07:59, Gary Holmlund wrote:
>>
>> John,
>>
>> The Personal Commentary bug has been fixed. It is checked into the HEAD
>> branch of Bibletime.
>>
>> I did find that text could be saved to the wrong reference just as you
>> said.
>>
>> Gary Holmlund
> I also backported it to the stable-2.8 branch and I think we should
> release 2.8.2 soon after it is verified that this indeed fixes the
> problem. Some of Patrick's fixes should also be verified and merged to
> master and stable-2.8 branches (there are already merge requests for them).
>
> God bless!
> Jaak
Jaak,

I found some more problems with the Personal Commentary saving. I have
fixed them and checked them into the master and stable-2.8 branches.

It all related to methods of changing the Bible verse reference key
(CSwordVerseKey). There are several ways it can change:
   3 drop tabs (Book, Chapter, Verse)
   3 next arrows (Book, Chapter, Verse)
   3 previous arrows (Book, Chapter, Verse)
   Forward and backward history
   Direct entry in toolbar
   Drop of bookmark
   Synchronized commentary change with Bible change

Each of these methods has a slightly different way of signaling before
and after key changes. This part of the code is a mess. I believe I have
the problems fixed and a release of stable-2.8 is ok. I believe I can
cleanup and simplify the code doing key changes and will probably
continue working on that in the master branch.

Gary

PS. Why do we format code so it looks like this:
      if (expr) return;

I can't set a breakpoint on the return. It should be done like this:
     if (expr)
         return;