[bt-devel] Floating View windows: quite sophisticated

Wolfgang Stradner D wolfgang_stradner at wycliffe.org
Sun Sep 5 22:53:17 MST 2010

Hi Jaak,

Concerning your question about what I tried to explain about the
position of the 3 tool windows (bookshelf, bookmarks, mag) which can be
activated in menu/View:

What was difficult for me, was to understand, how the system works to
position those windows within BibleTime (=BT).

Checking in the Handbook, I did not find an explanation of the system.

Then trying it out myself, I found the following:
There are 3 kinds of positions
- inside/outside BT: The symbole right of the x in each toolwindow
allows to toggle between those 2 options,
- inside piled up (with a name tab to choose between the members of the
pile),
- inside seperated (one below/above or side by side(.

When any of the inside position is chosen (piled up or separated), there
are four variations possible:
- left of the text window (the position which was the default in older
BT versions)
- right of the text window
- above of the text window
- below of the text window

All three kinds positions (together with the inside positions) can be
combined.

To change positions is done by using
- the inside/outside button within each tool window (left of the x
button) and/or
- to drag the tool window by its title bar into any inside position.

This system works well, and allows to create hundreds of combinations.

My concern for beginning users of BT is, that they get confused by this
great variety of possibilities, and therefore I stated the request:

to allow
- to switch off this choice of positions and have the original position
(left of the text windows) as in older version of BT or
- to make a choice of a special position, and then fix it, so that it
cannot change accidentally to a different position so that the beginning
user, who does not know, how this system works, gets confused.