[bt-devel] next release, releases, project management

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Wed Sep 1 10:55:59 MST 2010

Hi Martin,

On Sunday 29 August 2010 21:19:34 Martin Gruner wrote:
> We should release a 2.7 release with selected backported bugfixes and
> features. Separately, I will release a 2.8+gitXYZ release as a MacOS
> .dmg file for mac users to test. Ok?

Yep, sounds good to me.

> We should decide on a new release cycle and document the agreement in
> the wiki. Jaak suggested a fixed schedule of 2 feature releases per
> year. Here's his suggestion:

I agree with Jaak on this one. I think it allows BibleTime to get more
features into a release, and gives developers time to code BIG features where
necessary.

As Gary pointed it, it might be a good idea to align our releases with the
releases of one of the big distro's (perhaps Ubuntu, since it seems to be
released a bit before Fedora and openSUSE), so that we can get new versions in
each new version of these distros.

> If we can agree on a new release policy, I want to suggest that Jaak
> will take on the responsibilities of the Release Manager. He already
> agreed to take this responsibility if we have a consensus.

Hear, hear! I think Jaak would be an excellent choice for this role.

> Project Management
> What do you think?

Personally, I would prefer one person who is ultimately in charge of the
project. The reason for this is that they can guide us definitively, they can
veto or approve of any decisions, and developers can't play one leader off on
the other to get their way.

However, I would also like to see a team of core developers who assist this
project leader in their work. This core essentially makes decisions (with the
project leader having the final say in these decisions) and they work together
to promote and further the project.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za