[bt-devel] New Windows Development Version

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun May 30 03:33:00 MST 2010

On Sat, 29 May 2010, Gary Holmlund wrote:

> > 3. When I drag a reference below other references inside a folder, it
> > still puts the reference outside that folder.  I have to actually
> > hover over the folder to get them in the folder.
> When I drag a reference down from the last bookmark in a folder, I see
> the arrow indented to the level of the last bookmark. If I release then,
> the bookmark will go into the folder. If I move slightly further down
> the arrow moves left indicating that the bookmark will be put outside
> that folder. I think it is working correctly.

I designed it that way. The arrow should always show where the bookmark
is going. I tried to find an intuitive way, testing some file managers
to see how they do it. The logic is this: if you hover UNDER an item,
the new one is placed under that item, at the same level. If you hover
over an item, the new one is placed inside a folder or under a bookmark.
If it's changed, we have to make sure that it's possible to put a new
bookmark in any place. If dropping under a folder puts it inside the
folder, how can a bookmark be added AFTER the last folder?

> > 4. When I move a bookmark into a folder, rather than just moving there
> > it pops up a menu.  I don't know about Linux, but for Windows this is
> > completely unexpected behaviour (drag = move.  If you really want
> > copy, that's Ctrl-drag).
> I have seen one other cross platform program that did this. Most do the
> Ctrl-drag for copy. It may be unexpected, but it is obvious what it is
> doing. If you did not know about Ctrl-drag, you would probably never
> discover it. I would like opinions from others about this.

Yes, this is a cross-platform issue. Many design decisions have been
made based on KDE. Konqueror and Dolphin use the popup menu, and it's
expected behaviour there. We could change it for Windows version, but I
don't recommend it. I agree with Gary's comment.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland