[bt-devel] working with Git / SVN

Olaf Radicke briefkasten at olaf-radicke.de
Sat Jul 24 13:11:36 MST 2010

Am Samstag, den 24.07.2010, 20:43 +0200 schrieb Raoul Snyman:
> On Saturday 24 July 2010 01:42:17 Olaf Radicke wrote:
> > The problem is not Git. SVN is the problem.
>
> No. Subversion is not the problem. Subversion has 3 commands that are used the
> most: checkout, update, and commit. Bazaar has those very same commands which
> do exactly the same things as Subversion. Git has weird things like "rebase" -
> what the heck does that mean? Why do you need to use that over "pull"?

At first. Please read this:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-rebase.html
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-merge.html
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-pull.html
http://www.jarrodspillers.com/2009/08/19/git-merge-vs-git-rebase-avoiding-rebase-hell/

> You might really enjoy using Git, but when I look at it, I see that Bazaar can
> do exactly the same things, with less confusing commands, and is just as good
> in everything except perhaps the speed, where Bazaar is a little slower.

Speed is secondary. In this moment we have this situation:

dev = developer

                   SF.Net-SVN-repos

          |              |              |                |
      svn-sandbox   svn-sandbox   bazaar-sandbox    Git-Mirror
        1.dev 	       2.dev         3.dev         gitorious.org

          ^                                      ----------------
          |                                      |               |
          |                                 Git-Clone        Git-Clone
          |                                 me (Olaf)        2.git-dev
          |                                      |               |
          --------------me patch------------------               |

                        <------other patch------------------------

Best work flow is:
                                git
                     /---->1.maintainer

sf.net-Git-Repos<----|---->2.maintainer
                     |          dev                    git
                     |                      /---> other patcher-dev
                     |          git         |
                     \---->3.maintainer<----|
                                dev         |           git
                                            \---> me (Olaf) patch-dev

With git, i don't need a sf.net-account. The maintainer is check my work
and pull, if them like that. So is more control on project processing.

- no patch trouble
- no lost history
- no rebase and merge hell

...Full concentration on developing.