[bt-devel] working with Git / SVN

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Sat Jul 24 11:43:56 MST 2010

On Saturday 24 July 2010 01:42:17 Olaf Radicke wrote:
> The problem is not Git. SVN is the problem.

No. Subversion is not the problem. Subversion has 3 commands that are used the
most: checkout, update, and commit. Bazaar has those very same commands which
do exactly the same things as Subversion. Git has weird things like "rebase" -
what the heck does that mean? Why do you need to use that over "pull"?

I know I'm not the only confused by Git's commands. I use Bazaar on a daily
basis, and I use those 3 commands mentioned above, as well as branch and
merge, which do what they advertise. Nothing complicated about using Bazaar.

Also, if I want to use Bazaar with a Subversion repository, I just checkout
the repository using Bazaar, and it's Subversion bridge takes care of all the
cross-version control things.

You might really enjoy using Git, but when I look at it, I see that Bazaar can
do exactly the same things, with less confusing commands, and is just as good
in everything except perhaps the speed, where Bazaar is a little slower.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za