[bt-devel] refactoring

Olaf Radicke briefkasten at olaf-radicke.de
Thu Jul 15 05:49:06 MST 2010

Hi!

Bad news: I workd over 50 h on the Code. How ever i change the code, i get a
uncontrollably Chain reaction. It's a little bit like a Jenga-Game
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenga).

The main problem is:

1.) excessive forward declaration.
2.) unreasonable transmission design.
3.) chaotically namespaces.
4.) careless class-interfaces.
5.) many classes did not document and work obskur.

So i think, whenever a new developer looks on it, he think: "oh fu**, no
way!" It's a /vicious circle/.

    ----> no developer ----
  /                         \
 |                           |
  \                         /
    ------- bad code <-----

Thus which can we do? Which always we touch in the code, brings high risk for
stability. Thus i suggest, beginning with a alternative and autonomous GUI.
User can switch the GUI with a flag by starting programm. that is a compromise
between stability and progressed.

by the way, we can completely again consider those GUI. I does not like
multiple document interface (MDI), as example. MDI needs much place, without
more functions than flying windows. I think QSplitter is a better way.
another point is the "bookshelfmanager". It's always visible and needs much
place too. But how often one it uses? Better it is a dialogue. besides the
function is redundant(doubles) in the MDI-Windows (now).

Opinions, proposals, contradictions?

greeting

Olaf Radicke