[bt-devel] [sword-devel] Genbook Bible support

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Fri Jan 29 17:59:22 MST 2010

Hey guys,

Having a brief chat on IRC, it sounds like Osk is recommending we keep
GenBook Bibles as a future solution to the av11n problem.

The intention has always been to use GenBook Bibles as a way to allow a
Bible to use a v11n system for which we didn't have an internal mapping,
and to possibly, eventually replace our internal mappings with GenBook
treekey data files we could read in dynamically.

But the current state is that GenBook Bibles are not yet officially
supported in the engine.  You can try using them, but your mileage will
vary :)

And the good news is that if you are supporting av11n in your frontend,
you shouldn't need to know how the v11n was specified (internally, or
from a genbook), so no code should have to change in your frontend.

I'm not surprised you're getting crashes.  Others have said things work
for them.  I know I have loose ends in the impl, so it could be you're
just exercising things different, or genuinely do have a bug in the way
you are accessing av11n Bibles.  The bottom line is, regardless, the
code is not done, and when it is done it shouldn't segfault no matter
how you used it (within reason, of course :) ), so I wouldn't spend any
time looking into it yet.

Troy