[bt-devel] retranslateUi

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Jan 27 02:24:06 MST 2010

Jaak has changed some classes to use "retranslate ui" method. I want to
hear other's opinions, and I give mine:

As far as I know it doesn't have any other use than to make possible
changing the translation on the fly. However, I seriously question the
need for that feature. Can anyone give any use case where that is
necessary or especially useful for some users, other than possibly
BibleTime translators or developers? If we want that user can change
their UI language without using env variables, it's easy to do it by
first selecting the language and then restarting the application. How
many applications you can name which can change the UI language on the
fly? Who would use that feature for more than couple of times in his
life?

I feel that adding a new method for translation clutters the API. On the
other hand it's consistently named, so it shouldn't be hard to
understand in every place, but adding methods makes class files a bit
harder to navigate and read. I also find it easier to have UI strings
with the corresponding code. It's easy to find where a widget is
created. Also, if I write new code and create a new widget, it's easier
to put the tr("text") to the same place where the code is.

In short, I find only drawbacks in retranslateUi method and no good
sides.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland