[bt-devel] Feature-a-thon - Tabs Within Windows

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 22:08:22 MST 2010

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Gary Holmlund wrote:
>
>> Windows and Tabbed Views - I had proposed tabbed windows as show here:
>> http://devel.bibletime.info/wiki/New_Window_Arrangement_Modes
>> Eeli wanted to have a more general discussion of Windows before this was
>> done.
>>

> Added some thoughts:
> http://devel.bibletime.info/wiki/BibleTime1Refactoring#Window_system
>
>   Yours,
> 	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland
> 	e-mail: eekaikko at mailx.studentx.oulux.fix (with no x)

While the top level tabbed windows I originally proposed would be easy
to do, I feel that the other choice you made or having tabs within
windows is a very good idea. I don't believe both should be done as we
would have tabbed windows with tabs inside of them. I don't think that
would look right.

I prototyped tabs within windows by taking the Qt demo program that is a
mdi program with QTextEdit widgets for its windows. I used a subclass of
QTabWidget as the windows and put the QTextEdit on each tab. Look at the
second graphic here:

http://devel.bibletime.info/wiki/New_Window_Arrangement_Modes

With this program I was able to drag any tab to a new location in either
the same window or a different windows with the text editor moving with
it. Perhaps putting the tabs into window is the easy part. We also need
to have a good ui for opening tabs, the save/restore session code needs
to change,  we will need the mdi style toolbar, etc.

We will need quite a bit of discussion before this feature could be
implemented. It is definitely beyond the current release. I look forward
to discussing it further.

Gary