[bt-devel] MDI Style ToolBars

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Feb 24 05:20:45 MST 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Gary Holmlund wrote:
> I mixed up terms. I have been rebasing from the trunk. I will merge to
> the trunk just before a final check in.

OK, now I understand. You should just remember that "rebasing a private
branch before sharing it is OK but rebasing after sharing a branch with
someone else is strongly discouraged"
(http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/latest/en/user-guide/adv_merging.html#rebasing).
The reason for the advice is that you should *never* alter the history
of a public branch once it has been published. Rebasing alters the
history. If the changes will spread to other branches it will create
problems later. Even though the merging system of bzr (or any other
dvcs) is quite intelligent and can usually handle merging any
combinations of revisions back and forth between any number of branches,
it can break if the history is altered.

On the other hand, it shouldn't matter if the others keep your changes
inside that one branch after pulling it, without merging it to their own
branches (i.e. if they just keep a local copy of your branch and don't
copy the revisions in it elsewhere). That is probably the case here - we
don't want to merge your changes to our branches but want to keep them
in the local copy of your branch just for testing purposes.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland