[bt-devel] BibleCS / BibleTime on Windows

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sat Feb 13 09:28:28 MST 2010

Eeli,

After looking at the dialog you posted, I revisited the code we changed
in SWMgr to help the Xiphos guys on their Windows port.  I had forgotten
that we added OS specific lookup paths at the end of the lookup algorithm.

For Windows:
$ALLUSERSPROFILE/Application Data/sword/mods.d/

For Mac OSX:
$HOME/Library/Application Support/Sword/

I'll add these to the INSTALL doc.

The core history behind the lookup logic is such that:
Originally, SWORD just wanted to find a single path for modules: DataPath
Then we added the idea of augmenting personal modules to the primary
DataPath: ~/.sword
Then to support mobile devices with flash memory, we added AugmentPath.

Generally, a user installation isn't much more complicated than this.

There are many other smaller variations added for other needs over the
years, but this is the basic history.  The primary goal of the lookup
has always been to find the primary DataPath.  Hence, when sword.conf's
DataPath is invalid, we don't use the .conf file.  I'm not opposed to
changing this logic.  If there is a real need, I hope you know that want
to help your team.  Would you suggest that if sword.conf doesn't contain
DataPath, then the default lookup algorithm continues on to try to find
one?  And after that lookup attempt, the sword.conf AugmentPath entries
are applied?  This sounds reasonable and shouldn't affect adversely any
existing configurations.  sword.conf skipping if DataPath is invalid
currently is a misconfiguration anyway; if we change this logic, we
would just be changing the way we handle existing misconfigurations.

Troy