[bt-devel] Memory leak(?) on Fedora 13? Bibletime won't start (SVN)

Linus Ulrick meow8282 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 02:36:37 MST 2010

Hello Everyone,
I have been attempting to build and run Bibletime from SVN for quite some time
now.  If I remember correctly, if I start Bibletime with NO Sword
modules in the
expected location, Bibletime will start...  Otherwise, Bibletime will
not start,
it will consume a fairly large amount of the resources of one of my CPU cores,
and the memory that it uses will just keep growing.  I also compile and install
Xiphos from their development tree.  It starts and runs perfectly with the same
Sword modules that Bibletime "SEEMS" to be choking on.

I compile with the following cmake line:

cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/spu/spu-$(xdate)/kde -
DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-fno-var-tracking-assignments" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debug

I THINK that this means that I am building a debug build of Bibletime.
 But when
I run it from a terminal, absolutely no output.

Using the potentially un-precise method of ksysguard, I will now open Bibletime
and let it run for a few minutes, to see what happens to my system:

1. Before starting Bibletime, ksysguard shows the following:
CPU: 11%
Memory: 1.7 GiB / 7.8 Gib

2. So, let's start Bibletime, and see what happens...

3. CPU: 36%
    Memory: 1.8 GiB / 7.8 Gib
The actual Bibletime process now says:
CPU     Memory
25%    79.7 M

Okay, now I will let it run a few minutes, and we will see what CPU & Memory
consumption looks like...

While we are waiting, a description of my system:
Intel Xeon QuadCore processor, 2.0GhZ
8 GiB of RAM

4. In the time that it took me to type that, here's how things look:
The system in general:
CPU: 34%
Memory: 1.9 GiB

The Bibletime process itself:
CPU     Memory
25%    214.8 M

So, Bibletime has now been running for about 10-15 minutes, and I see the
following:
1. Bibletime is still merely a running process.  The application itself has not
started yet...
2. CPU % on the Bibletime process is running at 25%, and memory usage has
increased from 79.7 MiB when I started Bibletime, to 320 MiB right
now.  Now 335
MiB...

All of this, and Bibletime is still nothing more than the splash screen right
now...

Not saying that the problem is not on my end.  Just saying that Bibletime from
SVN is not working for me, and I don't know how to fix it :)

Steven P. Ulrick

P.S.: Off to try Bibletime from the Official Fedora 13 Repo...