[bt-devel] Moving to DVCS?

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 15:51:29 MST 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Olaf Radicke
<briefkasten at olaf-radicke.de> wrote:
> Hi Raoul!
>
> Am Sonntag, den 01.08.2010, 22:00 +0200 schrieb Raoul Snyman:
>> On Sunday 01 August 2010 21:55:24 Martin Gruner wrote:
>> > Can you please give your opinions on this? Are there compelling reasons
>> > not to use git? I agree that the interface is somewhat complex, but it
>> > is not impossible to use (especially for the simple use cases) and good
>> > documentation is available. Even I managed to use it!
>>
>> A) Git is too complicated
>
> No not realy. You are a gatekeepers (integration manager)? I think: no.
> So all what do you do, is...
>
> git clone [git-repos]
> git commit -a -m '[comment]'
> git push [owen public repos]
> git pull [git-repos]
>
> Complex is the merging, but this job is the job of gatekeepers
> (integration manager). Not yours. And git give the gatekeepers a
> powerful tool for this job.

As someone who uses all 3 (svn, bzr and git) on a semi-regular basis
at work, I can say that git is the most complex/confusing of them all.
 Even when working as a single developer on a single local project,
git is the most complex.  But it is also the fastest, seems to have
the most power and the most features.  Thus, it *is* too complex for
some tasks.  Telling someone "no it's not" when they're giving an
_opinion_ is a very bad way to convince them of your view. ;)

Greg