[bt-devel] dbus interface

Teus Benschop teusjannette at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 22:04:34 MST 2009

Good Day,

May I ask you a question about the DBus interface of BibleTime?
I am interested in this interface since Bibledit (http://bibledit.org)
needs it to share its verse references with BibleTime.

The main problem is that I can't get it to work.

There are various places in the code where the DBus is called from
BibleTime. So far I have seen these bits:

QDBusConnection::sessionBus().registerObject("/BibleTime", &bibleTime);

Q_CLASSINFO("D-Bus Interface", "info.bibletime.BibleTime")

If a client would like to cause BibleTime to scroll to, say, Genesis
2:4, then it looks like the following command would do it:

syncAllVerseBasedModules Gen.2.4

However, I can't get this to work through the DBus.

I run the following command:

dbus-send --print-reply --dest=/BibleTime info.bibletime.BibleTime
info.bibletime.BibleTime.syncAllVerseBasedModules string:Gen.2.4

(The above may be wrapped in this email, but it is one line on the
terminal).

This command gives error messages:

process 23657: arguments to dbus_message_new_method_call() were
incorrect, assertion "_dbus_check_is_valid_path (path)" failed in file
dbus-message.c line 1074.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
process 23657: arguments to dbus_message_set_auto_start() were
incorrect, assertion "message != NULL" failed in file dbus-message.c
line 2488.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
Couldn't allocate D-Bus message

It looks like it can't address a destination called "/BibleTime".

Any help with, or samples of, how to use the dbus interface to cause
BibleTime to scroll would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks a lot,

Teus Benschop