[bt-devel] Questions about BibleTime for windows

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Oct 28 14:45:53 MST 2009

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, Martin Gruner wrote:
> Before we release a final public version, I'd like to ask a few questions. Gary
> or Greg, maybe you can answer them?

Let's see if I can answer some of them... Correct me if I'm wrong.

> - Where does the installer put the application directory? Is it per-user or
> global?

Application is installed by default in Program Files\BibleTime\, but can
of course be installed somewhere else.

BT uses ~\Application Data\ for sword.conf and module installation.
BT config files go to ~\.bibletime.

> - Is that directory self-contained, or does it require external content (I.e.,
> does the installer put files somwhere else, like the windows or windows/system
> directories)?

I think it's self-contained.

> - Are the libraries that are required at build time (sword, clucene, curl, qt)
> linked in statically? If not, in which form are they distributed and where
> will they be installed to?

They are .dll, i.e. dynamic. They are in the BT installation folder, in
bin\ subfolder, in the same place than the BT binary, including the
msvc files.

> - Would it be possible to put the application directory on a USB stick (U3)
> that does not require installation?

Should be with little work - unless msvc files are fixed to a location
where they are installed with the installer. Maybe we just have to
change the default conf/module directory locations. But I know almost
nothing about U3 (and hate it because it's Windows only).

> - Where does BibleTime create the user's configuration files?

In ~\.bibletime. Maybe this should be changed to ~\Application
Data\bibletime?

> - Will it be possible to seamlessly upgrade the package as we release new
> versions?

I guess it would require some coding. I don't know much about automatic
updates in Windows world, but I gues we need a fixed server location
where a file with version information is stored. BibleTime would fetch
it and offer to download and start the new installer.

> - Can the package be uninstalled without leaving data on the system?

It leaves the module directories. It also leaves the ~\Application
Data\Sword\ directory with sword.conf. and I guess also .bibletime\. It
doesn't touch env variables or registry.

This is an area which we should think thoroughly. If we want to offer
maximum security for those who live in persecuted countries, we should
offer a way to remove all traces of BibleTime. However, it may not be
realistic to expect that other programs would do the same. We can't
delete the sword config and modules from the Application Data directory,
at least without asking, because other programs may use them.

> - Does CPack actually create the entire installer or is there more
> code/configration files involved? If so, where are these stored?

I know only about the BTCpack.cmake file.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland