[bt-devel] SVN code versioning scheme and Windows packages

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun Oct 25 14:38:11 MST 2009

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009, Martin Gruner wrote:
> That is because you did not commit the CMakeLists.txt, so it has a
> LastChangedRevision (short: Revision) still of 1682. This is a problem in my
> current approach, I need to work around it. The number will (only) change if
> you commit a changed CMakeLists.txt.

You may find some solutions by googling "cmake svn revision".

> The logic is that $Revision$ will be replaced by SVN with keyword substitution
> to the value of LastChangedRevision for the current file. I do not think this
> is complicated, but it is also not entirely correct as it only reflects
> revisions that also involved changes of CMakeLists.txt. The "real" last
> revison of the whole branch can probably only be determined by running SVN on
> the command line, but that does not work if SVN is not present. I am not yet
> sure what to do.

> You should definitely start using ccache!

Probably yes, but I'm reluctant to adopt new technologies :) And we
shouldn't require developers using extra tools. It's better to keep the
system lean and easy so that the newcomers aren't scared away so easily.

Anyways, I suggest trying to find a solution which doesn't edit
CMakeLists.txt but just creates a variable on-the-fly.

Yet another thing is that we may adopt a new version control system in
the future (am I contradicting myself?) and the svn revisions don't work
anymore. And after all the whole problem has arisen only because of this
Windows package versioning which is used only few developers. If the
solution is too difficult, heavy or problematic, we can just edit the
version number manually.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland