[bt-devel] SVN code versioning scheme and Windows packages

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun Oct 25 04:19:56 MST 2009

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009, Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009, Martin Gruner wrote:
>
> > > At the moment my final vote would go to "2.3+svnr<revision>".
> >
> > I just implemented this behaviour in cmake. It happens automatically, of
> > course.
> >
> > mg
> >

> It didn't work automatically for me. After I updated my tree to your
> change the CMakeLists.txt file read
>
> STRING(REGEX REPLACE "[$]Revision: ([0-9]+) [$]" "\\1" SVN_REVISION "$Revision: 1682 $")
>
> I did a commit which became rev1683. Then I rebuilt, but only with make,
> not from scratch. The old rev remained there.
>
> And if it did work automatically with every commit it would become a
> problem: if the contents of the CMakeLists.txt file is changed, as you
> seem to have intended, the whole project with all files is rebuilt. For
> me it takes several minutes. This is unbearable if it happens with every
> commit.

Hmm, I'm not sure if I understood what "automatically" means. It doesn't
seem to do any automatic update unless I modify the number manually.
I found some directions how this could be achieved automatically, i.e.
every time "make install" is run, but it isn't simple. Moreover, it
should take into account the situations when there's no svn
program or svn repository around.

Can you tell me why the system looks so complicated, and how it
actually works?

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland