[bt-devel] SVN code versioning scheme and Windows packages

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 20:50:56 MST 2009

> We also discussed with Gary about the upcoming Windows package naming.
> In my opinion we should avoid the situation where the package is tested
> only by few people and then released as "final". Xiphos did that and
> IIRC had an embarrassing situation when someone publicly reviewed the
> software and found some grave bugs which had gone unnoticed by
> developers. I'm quite sure that our quality isn't any better because we
> have had tests and bug reports only from couple of developers.

The bug was/is in SWORD, not Xiphos :), and it's still there....
Unless you patch SWORD yourself, you'll have the same problem(s).
Frankly, it's impossible to cover all scenarios. None of us at that
point had access to localized versions of Windows, which is where the
problem presented itself. So, it was embarrassing, but I'm confident
that no amount of testing could have helped us solve a problem with
systems we'd had no exposure to. And for what it's worth, BibleTime in
Karmic didn't have icons the last time I tried :)

Matthew