[bt-devel] Text window header added

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 22:13:25 MST 2009

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, 'Kang Sun' wrote:
>

>> Is it possible to move the keychooser pop-up buttons up slightly?  They
>> cover the first line of text and the selected text is always at the top
>> of the window.
>>

> I don't know if it's problem, they are visible only temporarily while
> the cursor is on top of the keychooser. However, it would be nice if the
> buttons would start right from the bottom pixel of the text edit area.
> Then it wouldn't be necessary to move the cursor back even one pixel to
> hit a button after it has appeared. But we have to consider every style
> and platform. Important visual changes, especially those overriding the
> toolkit default behaviour, should always be tested on all platforms and
> several styles.
>

>> The header seems to take up a bit of screen real-estate.
>>

> Yes, vertically, but on the other hand it saves horizontal space if the
> old module chooser buttons are hidden. There's no perfect solution :)
>

>> It's good that they can be disabled. A global setting to
>> disable them would be nice too.
>>

> I guess this will be the next todo in this area if people agree it's
> good.
>

>> The "remove" option should be disabled
>> if the work is the only work in the view.
>>

> Done.
>
>   Yours,
> 	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland
> 	e-mail: eekaikko at mailx.studentx.oulux.fix (with no x)

Eeli,

I have been thinking about the text window header. I can't say that I
like it that well.

1. It looks quite different from any other toolbar item. It just feels
non-standard to me.

2. It does take up significant vertical space, especially for people
that like horizontal tiling. I don't feel we need a visible module name
above each column. The book window titlebar has the module names for the
columns.

I guess I would favor a single toolbar button that popups up a small
window that helps configure the columns and then is closed.

Gary