[bt-devel] updating ui translations while building

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 24 12:23:39 MST 2009

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:

> OK, now I understand what's the problem. You shouldn't make messages at
> all. The .qm files are generated automatically if they aren't up to
> date. The "make messages" target updates the .ts files from the source
> code. It's independent from the "make all" target and must be invoked
> manually. Thomas has done it periodically and updated the .ts files for
> the translators.

That makes sense.  It's just not what I thought I was told about how to
regenerate the *.qm files :)  Maybe documenting what make messages does,
in the relevant BT*.cmake file at least, would be helpful.  If it is
easy to add, a "make qmfiles" (or similar) target that really does
update the *.qm files could be nice to have, too?

I suspect that longer term, it might be worth investigating setting up
an svn hook, so that when a *.cpp file is checked in, the server
regenerates any affected *.ts files, and checks the (possibly modified)
version of those in "behind the scenes".  That way, the *.ts files would
automatically be kept up to date with respect to the C++ source code.

Jonathan