[bt-devel] Toolbar viewing problem in BT

Kim Blewett kim_blewett at sil.org
Sun Nov 22 05:15:41 MST 2009

I am running BibleTime v 2.4 with a modified Xubuntu 9.10 Jaunty
distribution. I'm having a problem with the backgrounds of the toolbars
for the individual text windows. As you can see from the attached
screenshot the toolbars turn black whenever the mouse passes over one.
If I click in the text of a window, usually that toolbar reverts to
white (normal background), but they keep changing. While it's black the
movement arrows and other things are very hard to see, and the black
bars across the screen are distracting.

I have the OS on an SD card, which I can boot from various computers.
This problem occurs both on an Eee 1000XE and on an OLPC XO-1--using the
same system on the SD.

I also have Ubuntu 9.10 installed on the Eee, and BibleTime 2.4 on that
system works fine--no black toolbars. It's the same version of BT and
the same version of libqt4 (v4.3) on both systems. I did install
libqt4-gui manually--I think it was missing from the dependencies for BT
2.2??

Could my Xubuntu system be missing some package that's needed? Do you
need more info to help diagnose this problem?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Blessings,
Kim Blewett
Computer consultant/trainer
SIL Papua New Guinea

PS--The goal of this project is to provide a preconfigured "low
maintenance" system for "mother tongue" Bible translators and language
workers in remote areas of the world, running on a low-powered computer
(netbook or XO) using a small solar panel. The system will include
Bibledit, BibleTime, WeSay dictionary program (see WeSay.org), kmfl
keyboard manager for typing "special characters," as well as the usual
OpenOffice, Thunderbird email, etc. If the system fails or becomes
corrupted the user can usually swap in a replacement SD card and
continue working.