[bt-devel] New Windows users and user experience

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Fri Nov 20 07:45:45 MST 2009

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Daniel Owens wrote:

> This discussion is quickly passing me by, but I have one suggestion for
> you to consider. The main BibeTime toolbar is pretty sparse, with only 4
> items. I would think Windows users would prefer to have a bit more at
> their fingertips and not have to hunt at all in the menus (we're lazy!).
> I think especially of the bookshelf manager and preferences dialog. If
> those had icons on the toolbar it would make it a bit easier for new
> users to navigate. Just a thought.

Good idea. The current main toolbar is only half useful now. Adding for
example the Bookshelf Manager (with tooltip "Install new works" would
help new users. The Config dialog is so and so - personally I don't like
having it in the toolbar for any application. We shouldn't get too
excited about adding new buttons lest it become too populated and loose
the attraction and easyness. Less than 10 seems to be quite popular. We
should do a user survey to find out which menu items are used regularly
:)

BTW, having a Quit button in the main toolbar isn't very wise in my
opinion. It might be proper for a small application which can put all
actions in the menu and which is opened and closed often, but none of
the medium or large apps which I have seen puts it there. Imagine a web
browser or an office app having it - no chance.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland