[bt-devel] Refactoring displaywindows classes; a future feature

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Thu Nov 19 06:48:44 MST 2009

I'm refactoring the classes under displaywindow/. Please refrain from
modifying them unless needed until I get my work ready.

The reasons for refactoring are twofold. First, the current
messaging/responsibilites mechanism is unclear. I feel that the window
class should handle the list of current modules of that window. Now the
list is get from the buttons, which doesn't feel correct. Also I want to
get rid of passing module pointers and use QStrings and QStringLists
which lessen the probability of crashes when modifying something. (As a
side note QString and QStringList copies shouldn't be afraid of, its
very cheap to copy them. See the Qt documentation for more.)

We talked with jotik about using the treemodel in module selection
menus, but it will follow later.

Another reason and the reason I started this at all is that later I will
implement my suggestion for text window headers which need this
refactoring. See http://devel.bibletime.info/wiki/Parallel_view_UI where
the reasons are adequately explained. Please comment now if you has
something to say.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland