[bt-devel] web site home page text

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Mon Nov 16 02:22:46 MST 2009

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 23:45:40 -0500, Thomas Abthorpe wrote:
> Raoul has been on me to consider other means of maintaining the website,
> by migrating to a CMS like drupal for instance. Perhaps we need to
> explore this option further.

Guilty as charged! :-D
An upside to using a CMS is that we can have more folks helping out with
the site, including folks who are not XML and Subversion savvy. Also, if we
were to go the Drupal route, we could simply enhance the blog, and then
move it to the main domain. Much less hassle than running both the blog and
the site as separate systems.

Eeli, you are 100% on the mark. With my OpenLP project, one of the other
guys and I worked on some SEO to get OpenLP higher in search results. By
just adding some appropriate text to the home page's title, and then
rewording the "mission" block in the middle of the home page, we were able
to skip to the front page of Google in less than a week.

Also, getting a number of people to add links from their sites/blogs/etc to
the BibleTime site, using the words "free Bible study program" will get
more traffic to the BT site, and will raise the ranking on search engines
like Google for the phrase "free Bible study program."

I think having the Facebook page and the Twitter account (when it times
out) should also help. Talking of the Facebook page, we now have 46 fans!

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: http://www.saturnlaboratories.co.za/
b: http://blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za/